August 25, 2008


(Beijing , August 24) --China's Zou shiming won China's first boxing gold today by defeating Mongolia's Serdamba Purevdorj in the final of the light-flyweight class. Zou hit Purevdorj with a combo of punches in the first round, earning one point.
The bout ended abruptly in the second round with Purevdorj retiring due to a shoulder injury that he suffered in his bout against Yampier Hernandez G of Cuba
"When I was fighting today I felt a lot of pain in my shoulder and I decided not to force myself," said Purevdorj.
Zou was ecstatic at being able to better the bronze medal that he won at Athens 2004.
"I am very happy because I won the first Boxing gold medal for my country," said Zou after winning the gold medal.
"I wanted to give the spectators a wonderful show, but I did not expect that my opponent would get injured. However, the gold medal is the most important thing."

No comments: